1. Save your word document like this: Hit your File save as-> lookdown to the bottom of the page area and notice this button: SAVE AS TYPE. that is a wonderful button that you should always know about. Hit that button and save as PDF. Save the file on your desk top.
2. Go into create space and sign up. Follow the steps and make sure that your cover is sensational! (I made this mistake and won't ever do this again).
3. Download your pdf formatted document( the one you saved on your desk top) that you plan to publish when create space prompts you to.
4. Then, when it is time to review, go ahead and let them send you your free proof. Please do not publish it because you are excited without taking this step.
5. When it arrives in the mail. READ EACH AND EVERY WORD. Notice your formatting, does it look okay? Do the words of each page end how you want them too? If not, then go back to your word document (the one before you converted it to pdf) and make the changes and proceed back to number one. Also take your proof around and show off the cover? is anyone excited? ask for an honest opinion from those outside your family and friends! If it all looks good then you can okay the submission in create space and you are good to go.
6. When you go through the process of the rest of create space it will ask you if you want this book to be available on kindle (why not -more potential sources of income, right). You will also be asked about the availability you want available. This is the step that you want to make sure you get right.
***See why I tell you to publish via create space before kindle? Because you can set it to do both anyway right from create space:Nice right?
7. Make sure you hit the all markets and make the book available to libraries and all other spots it offers. Later you will find that your book is also available in Barnes and Nobles.com as well as other places. (if you take this extra step).
8. You will also have an option to sign up for kindle unlimited for your title. I would do this too! (but you have to decide for yourself).
9. you also have the option of having your eBook be match priced to be included for your customers who buy the print version.
10. Finally, when you are all set. your kindle version should show up in a few weeks attached to your print version. If not, contact support and give them the isbn and the isan numbers and kindly ask them to link it for you. I had to do this. Its easy and they take care of it right away!
Bottom line: When you go to publish your ebook. consider publishing through create space first and then using the tools in create space to send it directly to a kindle version. I tried both ways. Going through create space definitely streamlined the process for me.
Have a kick'in day and get to work, writer!